Login

MisterNathan:
So, I'm sure the majority of people that regularly debate here are well acquainted with Job's wife telling him to "curse God and die." I was recently reading in Job on E-Sword and accidentally clicked over to the Douay-Rheims Bible (I usually read in the KJV since it has the Strong's on it), and noticed something drastically different. Job 2:9 ( DRB ) And his wife said to him: Dost thou still continue in thy simplicity? bless God and die. Job 2:9 (KJV) Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. That word "curse" (or bless, depending on the version), is the Hebrew word "barak" which recalled a corny song to me at once, "Shabach, hallelujah! Barak, praise the Lord!" When I looked it up in the Strong's, I came out with this definition: H1288 בּרך bârak baw-rak' A primitive root; to kneel; by implication to bless God (as an act of adoration), and (vice-versa) man (as a benefit); also (by euphemism) to curse (God or the king, as treason): - X abundantly, X altogether, X at all, blaspheme, bless, congratulate, curse, X greatly, X indeed, kneel (down), praise, salute, X still, thank. Perhaps MattBob_SquarePants or barry or Llywen or someone could help me out with this, as it paints a completely different picture of Job's wife.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)